By Amanda Wynant, Staff Writer
Grown in a small mountainous region of South Africa, rooibos tea has been used medicinally for generations around the world.
Made from the aspalathus linearis shrub, the caffeine free, low tannin red tea has about a half million stellar health benefits. Today we'll take a look at five of the most impressive benefits of rooibos tea.
1. Drinking rooibos tea can reduce your chances of developing type 2 diabetes. A study published in the May 2009 issue of Phytomedicine, shows that aspalathin, a component in rooibos tea, has a positive effect on glucose metabolism. It looks like consumption of rooibos tea can both prevent the onset of type 2 diabetes and help type 2 diabetes patients manage their blood sugar levels. Aspalathin helps the body balance its blood sugar and insulin levels.
2. Rooibos tea contains quercetin - a flavonoid antioxidant that promotes cardiovascular health. Quercetin is the flavonoid found in dark colored fruits and vegetables that can really boost heart-health and "good" cholesterol. Rooibos tea has plenty of naturally occurring quercetin and drinking it can be extremely beneficial for a person's cardiovascular health.
3. Drinking rooibos tea can help balance the nervous system and help people who suffer from anxiety. Rooibos tea contains magnesium. Magnesium effects the release of "feel-good" chemicals in the brain, like serotonin. Consuming magnesium-rich rooibos tea can improve a person's mood and help prevent anxiety and depression. Try drinking three cups a day and see if you notice a difference in your outlook over a week's time.
4. You can strengthen your bones, teeth and hair by drinking rooibos tea. Rooibos tea contains calcium and manganese - both of these are great for your bones and teeth! Taking in more calcium and manganese is essential to preventing osteoporosis. Replacing one of those calcium-leeching cups of coffee with rooibos tea each morning can make a huge difference in your overall bone and dental health.
5. Rooibos has anti-inflammatory flavonoids. Rooibos tea contains chrysoeriols - flavonoids with antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Some have reported migraine relief and improved blood circulation after adding rooibos tea to their health regiment. In general, reducing inflammation in the body is recommended for prevention of cancer and other serious diseases.
We've just added several new rooibos tea blends to our product line at Tea Drift. Check out some of our favorites here.